Saturday 25 October 2014

Faith and Action

What does it mean to be a Christian? To have Faith?

We proclaim we are Christians, we go to church on Sunday, other days even, we pray, and we fast perhaps. But is that enough?

When we get to meet God, will we say: “I helped in church every week. I cleaned the church and arranged the flowers. Please let me in Heaven.” or “I served on the church council for years, I was responsible for the readers’ rota and I read in church on Sundays many times. I typed and printed the weekly church newsletter. Please let me in.”

Is this what it means to be a Christian?

Or should we be a channel of His peace as St Francis of Assisi prayed. Or help the poor and destitute as Mother Theresa did.

"My brothers and sisters, what good is it for people to say that they have faith if their actions do not prove it? Can that faith save them? Suppose there are brothers or sisters who need clothes and don't have enough to eat. What good is there in your saying to them, “God bless you! Keep warm and eat well!” — if you don't give them the necessities of life? So it is with faith: if it is alone and includes no actions, then it is dead." James 2:14-17.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Victor! This post really convicts me. I was shopping this week, and saw a man who was clearly homeless in front of one of the shops. He had a mountain of bags loaded on one of the motorized chairs provided for customers.
    I should have at least greeted him. I just walked on by. Ugh. I really need to get busy loving my neighbor.
    Thank you for the wake-up call,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil, Please don't blame yourself. Society has become such (here in the UK at least) that one HAS to hesitate before stretching out a helping hand. I have often, like you, thought twice before acting.

      I hope the Lord understands our hesitations ...

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Faith alone cannot save us. But Faith with Charity literally drives us to Christlike actions by inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Glad you posted this challenging article. It makes me ask what more I can do in using my gifts for the greater glory of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see you visiting here again Barbara. I hope and pray you are keeping well.

      As I said above to Ceil. We tend to hesitate because society often mis-interprets good deeds.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post, Victor. Honestly, I have no idea what I will say to the Lord when I meet Him. I try to be kind and charitable but probably miss many opportunities every day.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Mary. I find it difficult at times to be proactive in my charitable deeds. I pray He'll understand and forgive.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. I think about this quite a bit Victor. Is it enough? I mean, on a percentage-of-our-time basis it could hardly be enough. Then again, could we ever do enough?

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem Michael. How much does God want us to do for it to be enough? How much charity is He asking for?

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.